Friday 24 April 2009

What's a girl to do?

As my first week of work experience draws to a close, I've realised that i really quite like PR, especially when working on more consumer based clients. The sickening thing is that I have the experience, I'm quick to learn yet I'm still unemployed. There are just no jobs in PR at the moment, for my level. Yet here i am, selling in stories, helping to put together pitches, writing press releases, all for FREE! Am i crazy or is that just damn cheeky?!

I'm based in Oxford Circus which is great but incredibly depressing. Lunchtimes are spent meandering around TopShop and H&M with £20 to my name. All these lovely things which i just can't have, that i've never had because even when I had a job I was paid the bare minimum. When is my luck going to change? I'm a naturally impatient person, with an extremely long list of Things I Want To Do in my life. Almost all of which depend on that papery stuff that seems so hard to come by at the moment.

I know, i'm young. With time i will be able to do stuff. But right now, keeping a roof over my head doesn't look that likely. So what's a girl to do? Use her feminine wiles? Go back and live with her parents in a tiny village in the south of England, where the nearest thing to PR is a notice in the Parish Pump about so-and-so's prize winning turnips? Go back and admit defeat? I just can't bare it. It's got nothing to do with the people, i love my parents and my friends. It's just so not where i want to be and I'll do anything to stay in London.

But a casual bar job and jobseekers allowance is still not enough to pay the rent, even with housing benefit too. It's madness! I met with my French friend yesterday, she got made redundant too. She was shocked to find out that the same rules don't apply here as they do in France. If she was living at home and got made redundant she'd get 80% of her salary for two years! That's it.

I'm moving to France.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments and suggestions, so why not leave me one?