Tuesday 7 April 2009

Steak and redundancy

Time for an update. I know my fans (all two of you) look forward to having some drivel to read on your lunch hour. And i do like to keep you two happy!

Firstly, some bad news. Along with thousands of other people around the country, I have been made redundant. It sucks. There's nothing I can do about it though, the decision has been made. I'm determined not to let myself slip into the depression i went through over a year ago, when i found myself out of a job and with no where to live. At least i have a bit more experience behind me now. I'm not panicking yet. I'll give it a few weeks.

So, this blog may become a diary of job rejections if i'm not careful! Let's hope not. Better stick to rabbiting on about my love life instead!

After hearing the horrible news on Friday and watching my boss crumble as the realisation kicked in that there was really nothing else left to do, i dried my eyes and decided it wasn't going to stop me going on my date. I had, after all, been looking forward to it. With hindsight i'm surprised the poor guy still wanted to meet me, after I phoned him letting him know about my awful afternoon. I did consider cancelling but decided i'd let him make that decision for me. And the last thing i wanted to do was stay in on a Friday night, depressed, with a bottle of wine for company.

Luckily for me, my date did still want to meet and he was thoroughly charming, kind and great fun. What more could a recently redundant gal wish for? I'm sure we talked about me far too much. Perhaps that can be blamed on the cocktail of different beverages we consumed. Or perhaps i should just learn to shut up once in a while. He did make me laugh though. Even if it probably was too soon for jokes!

It was a funny evening all round. He wasn't impressed by our table in the restaurant, with a lovely view of the toilets and the kitchen! Plus his cocktail was not up to his delicate palette's standard. The steak was damn good though. Dessert, not so much. As he put it, the chef clearly only had eyes for meat. Nothing else. All about the meat.

I enjoyed myself though and as the restaurant closed and we drank our coffee, we decided to find ourselves another bar for another drink. Which is why we ended up in T-Birds. An interesting establishment where the bar maid called me "love" and i got chatted up by a 15 year old chav. I didn't inform my date of this, it's not something i'm proud of. It wasn't like it was going to make him jealous. My first drink in T-Birds was a Cosmopolitan. Apparently. It certainly didn't taste like one. It didn't come in a fancy glass, it was extremely sweet with a faint taste of grapefruit and had absolutely no booze in it, as far as i could tell. We sat at what can only be described as a park bench and chatted about what could be around the corner for me. I think i may have said "the world is my oyster" too many times. He didn't seem to mind though.

So even though Friday could have been the day of "losing my job" it turned out to be the night of "a really great date".

Every cloud...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments and suggestions, so why not leave me one?