Tuesday 2 March 2010

marmite cereal bars?

On my way into work today a man thrust a free Marmite cereal bar into my unsuspecting hands. That's right, marmite. On oats and crunchy bits. Just the thought of it made me shudder and cringe. I'm pretty sure i made a face of disgust, much like a bulldog would if he was sucking wee off a nettle. Unpleasant. However, i'm in the "Lovers" category when it comes to the sticky, brown yeasty stuff (what a tantalising description!) so surely this should not be the case? But the thought of waking up to that, well it's too much for even me to take.

Later on in the morning, after my first cup of tea at my desk and a glass of water to hand i did decide to brave this phenomenon just to see if i really would spit it out in disgust as i had imagined i would. As i unpeeled the black and yellow wrapper off the offending item, a waft of salty marmite scent floated out and up into my nostrils, producing a tingling sensation in my mouth. I put the bar closer to my face and sniffed harder, then recoiled. A much stronger marmite smell invaded my nose and i was no longer sure that this was the right time or place to taste this weird creation. I was not sure how my work colleagues would indeed react to my retching at my desk.

But with bravery and "living on the edge" mentality, i closed my eyes and tentativly bit a miniscule piece off the corner of the bar. And...
Survived.

It appeared that most of the Marmite flavouring was in the smell itself. I risked another, slightly larger bite and chewed. The crunchy, chewy texture didn't set my teeth on edge like other rice crispy/mallowy things do. I went for another mouthful, then another. Before i knew it half of the bar had gone.

It was at this stage that i reached for a glass of Thames finest, as this is one of the main draw backs of this new and challenging snack, immediate thrist. I should imagine pubs aroud the country will be ordering these chewy bars to boost drink sales, shouting "Screw peanuts lets give 'em Marmite!".

As the last mouthful went down just as agreeably as the first i was glad i had the courage to try something that initially made me want to hurl.
Is this a metaphor for life? Are we all too eager to judge things we have never experienced? As a society are we against change?

Get lost, it's just a Marmite cereal bar!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments and suggestions, so why not leave me one?